10 Volunteer Opportunities To Do Over Fall Break
by Jenne Brookes
There are a number of engaging and diverse volunteer opportunities over Fall Break, from runs to beach cleanups to food drives to animal shelters. There's a volunteer event for everyone! Here is a list of 10 volunteer opportunities over Fall Break:
- The San Diego South Bay Turkey Trot is an annual run on Thursday, November 24th. Runners can choose from either a 5k, 10K, or 15K. Not only can individuals participate in the run, but they can also volunteer to work at water stations, assist with parking, aid with registration, and help at the starting line.
- Father Joe’s Villages Thanksgiving Day Run/Walk, Balboa Park is a volunteer event on November 23rd and 24th. Volunteers can assist with registration, cheer on runners and walkers, and aid at the water stations.
- The San Diego Humane Society is asking for volunteers to make toys and post flyers to help the sheltered animals.The Humane Society asks that all donations are delivered before Thanksgiving Day.
- The Salvation Army’s Red Kettle Donations help provide meals for those in need. In 1891, Joseph McFee founded this project to help poverty-stricken families and children receive holiday meals.
- Thanksgiving In a Box allows volunteers the opportunity to make a creative cardboard box and place it inside the grocery stores. With every donation, a family of five is receiving meals.
- Third Avenue Charitable Organization, or TACO, is a volunteer event that preparers meal, food baskets, and hygiene kits for the homeless.
- The American Family Housing prepares 1,000 turkey dinners for the homeless.
- Feeding San Diego Volunteer Open House feeds over 490,000 seniors, families, and children every year.
- The Imperial Beach Pier Cleanup will be hosting another beach cleanup on Saturday, November 26th from 9 am to 11 am. Volunteers must bring their own reusable bag, bucket, bottle, and gloves.
- The San Diego Food Bank asks for volunteers willing to sort and bag food donations. Opportunities to volunteer are available throughout Fall Break, besides Thanksgiving Day.