Bored of Break?
by Amanda Arnett
Yep, it’s that time of year again- Springtime. The flowers are blooming, the bees are buzzing, the time change has your circadian rhythm all wack, and the pollen in the air is filling up your sinuses. While spring time brings about a sunny joy to life, the one week break during this time causes students faces to light up. After the month of March mentally tears us students apart as we grind through school without a single day off, Spring break is the light at the end of our March madness tunnel (and I’m not talking basketball). As much as we use the prospect of Spring break as motivation to push through the terrifying thought of midterms this week, the inevitable fact is that many kids will find themselves sitting in their bed all day out of boredom for the majority of break. So, to help assure that you don’t waste your allotted freedom from school binge-watching Friends and wandering the explore page on Instagram all day, here are eight boredom busting things to do and places to see for when Spring break gets a little too long:
- Go on the hunt for the best burrito: San Diego is home to some of the tastiest Mexican food in world, so grab a friend, get in your car and start driving because you’re on a mission to find the hidden gem of grimy taco shops.
- Take a hike!: Come on guys, it’s Springtime and us San Diegans have been in need of some sun after this (somewhat) rainy winter. So get outside and get walking on beautiful trails such as Devil’s Punchbowl in Ramona, Potato Chip Rock in Poway, Ho Chi Min Trail in La Jolla, and the Solana Beach Mushroom Caves.
- Go pick some wildflowers: While this may sound cheesy, don’t pretend you’ve never seen a field of springtime flowers and wanted to frolic around in it like a third grader. And after the rainy winter, wildflowers are rapidly blooming in open spaces throughout San Diego, so go and let your inner child run free as you skip along and make flower crowns out of daisies like they do in the movies.
- Take a day trip to Laguna, Los Angeles, or Borrego Springs: I mean because you have time, so why not?
- Go ice blocking: Step 1- Obtain a block of ice large enough to sit on. Step 2- Find a small grass hill. Step 3- Slide down the hill on your ice block and try to be the last person that falls off.
- Go to a swap meet: One of the best is Kobey’s Swap Meet, open Fridays and Saturdays from 7A.M. – 3P.M. at the Sports Arena Square Shopping center. With hundreds of different vendors, ranging from miniature gardens in glass balls, to embarrassing Hawaiian shirts your dad wears, you never know what you could find at Kobey’s.
- If you really don’t want to leave your house, develop a new skill or talent: Don’t know how to do anything? Use this pretty cool resource called the internet and look up a tutorial on how. Learn to juggle, walk on your hands, do the worm, bake a cake, or in my case, squirt a blob of whipped cream into your hand, hit your arm, then catch the blob in your mouth after it flies into the air.
- Take a moment to reflect: If you’ve gone through this list without one of these items intriguing you, or you really just want some “me time”, take a moment to reflect on the fact that you don’t have finals for another two months, because that is sure to bring some joy to your life.